Friday, January 18, 2008

Mixed emmotions

My mummu passed away last week (wednesday) and i went up there to be with family over the weekend.

Being in the sault, (st. Marie) was refreshing in a lot of ways i hadn't expected.  I helped to sort through some of mummu's things in her apartment in the retirement residence and found out how many quirky little 'likes' we have in common.  
I brought back  some momento's of her life, she loved bright colours and bold patterns. Here's a picture: 
One of the things i found was a book of knitting patterns for mittens... they are so detailed that i'm thinking of translating them into 'blackwork' patterns and maybe using them to embroider a new piece.

Oh, and theres a rosebowl that i'm going to use to house a new pet golfish.  its about time i had some company in my little apartment.  I think i'll name it 'Ristimakki' her maiden name. 

To Mummu, who was always pleasent and slyly funny, who stashed EVERYTHING sentimental away, who knew exactly what she liked and went with it, who always had her hands busy (usually knitting but also crocheting lace), who was my mothers mother. 

Everyone told me how 'un-finnish' i looked when i was up there.  
Now i have to go to finland... to unravel this mysterious part of my family history.  To know what it means to be 5o% Finn. 

No comments: