Thursday, July 17, 2008

Like a duck

Michael Caine once said:

Be like a duck. Calm on the Surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.
What I have NOT been able to do lately is to stay calm. 
I had an interesting discussion last night with a friend and it lead me to the realization that the pattern of switching tasks often is something that i have inherited from my job. 
Luckily i will be leaving that job soon, but in the meantime, i am tired of feeling 'panic-y' and 'anxious' and 'scattered' all the time.  I'm the kind of person who moves through the world oblivious to immediate realities because i'm often thinking on two tracks. I get around on auto pilot and think myself to distraction. 

Key loser
Push door puller
muffin burner

I have a new trick to help stay focused and retrain my brain to focus more clearly on the present.

Its called 'NOTEPAD'

It goes like this:

-Do stuff (a task)
-When you inevitably get distracted, stop yourself
-Don't change course, just write down the thought that came to mind on a NOTEPAD and let the idea drift away
-When you've completed the task at hand look to NOTEPAD to find your next task
-Now begin resolving the most important task first. 
-Repeat as symptoms of distraction arise

I'm seriously considering the hipster pda as my format for NOTEPAD. 
I especially like that the binder clip that holds the assembly together will also be helpful in clipping the thing to my pocket so that it doesn't slide out when i'm riding my bicycle. 
Oh, how hipster i have become. 
Ahh.... Its a difficult job, but someone has to reprogram me, and it might as well be me.

Also, when i wrote 'like a duck' i sang it to the chevy truck 'like a rock' jingle. 

No comments: