Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pop-overs!



I love these, a freind of mine let me examen her new pair trademarked ear pop-overs which cover your ears like earmuffs but without the silly band. I was able to re-create them pretty easily for gifts and I made myself a pair too because headbands and bikehelmets don't mix (i look like a head trauma victim). I love them! They hide nicely under my hairs and keep me warm and undorkerated.

I had some 'clear flexible cutting boards' arround for the 'pop' part that. Any thicker flexible plastic will do, i often use binder covers or plastic placemats (not the laminated kind) for hat brims and these work with the same consistency.



-cut out an ovals of paper, big enough to cover your ear
-cut a c'shaped pattern from the oval as shown in picture.
-cut out two ovals each of one thicker fabric for the outside of the pop-over and one flannel or thin fleece for the inside
-make opposing cuts into the 'c' shaped plastic peices about 1/4'' in from the ends. This should make the plastic 'dome' enough to pop into place.
-push a long pin in across the overlapping plastic ends and stitch back and forth with a thick sharp machine needle to weave together.
-sew the two layers face to face
-cut a hole through the flannel layer, about one inch long vertically (in the longer direction) a little more to one side than the other. flip the good sides out through the hole.
-gently fold the plastic oval and fit it into the hole, work with fingers until it is in the right place.
-fit the pop-over onto ear and confirm the fit if you need to trim, do it now!
-once the pop-over fits, trim the 'hole' on the flannel side until its just about 1/4'' bigger than the hole in the plastic oval.
-coat the inside rim of plastic with rubber cement and let set for approximately 2 minutes until tacky, then fold flannel arround the inside edges of the plastic.

place over ear and 'pop into place.

1 comment:

Alex James said...

Kirsi, this is really ambitious stuff...Finnish bread and homemade ear muffs? I'm truly impressed. I can't even get enough motivation together to finish my graduate school research paper for my applications, which is partly why I'm leaving comments on your weblog instead of doing just that. Fun reading though...nice to see that somebody does something constructive with their blogs.