Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Footed Pot" ....my ass!

ART/CRAFT

THE subject of contention for a bunch of my friends who are craft.. lovers and makers.

Last week i found a book called: 'Crafts Canada The useful arts' (1974).
Its full of local hero's like Lois Betbridge-Etherington (silversmithing queen) and even Andrew goss (i love his NEW work in concrete).

Using a few of the most interesting pictures from my find,  i intend to demonstrate how I see as the phases in what many view as contradictory terms and why i feel like they are all components of a healthy career as a 'craftsperson'. To me classification is made easy if you view it all from the p.o.v. of "intention".



Footed pot  by Bailey Leslie, Toronto. (NICE well made bong... no?)
A. Craft to me is about the end user. Craft is something that is made to be functional by a skilled craftsperson who has thoroughly considered all aspects of the design before beginning work.  To me this could include industrially produced objects where the designer really cared about the object, its use, storage, durability, aesthetics, and life span.  Something that is well crafted is essentially a pleasure to use. 





Tie-Dye, Eric Nyros. I love this work, i've never seen tie-dye executed like this, its beautiful no?!  Reminds me of being in the back country, if you look closely its all tree's and marshlands!

B. Art is about the concept or impulse of an artist. Art is the implementation of an artists skills in successfully conveying their personal vision. 




'Fibre Sculpture' by Hilde Shreier, Ottawa. This is interesting because it attempts to re-interpret textile techniques into a new form, but who wants that in thier house, really? I sometimes wish we could just write off craft from the seventies as what it was, experimental.

C. Production is anything else, continuing work in a series after the inspiration fades, making things because you know they sell, experimenting with new techniques unsuccessfully etc. This is essential to a makers process too, because well... sometimes its good to make some cash doing what you love, and sometimes you just need to burn out before you can start again, all the while improving on skills.


To me all of these elements are viable and important aspects of the career of a craftsperson.  I consider myself an artist and a maker and i'm getting better at moving through the phases of this cycle without questioning my own motives and goals all the time.

If you can find answers to the 'why' of material arts, it is easy to characterize where it sits on the horizon of the 'Art vs. Craft' debate.

Booyah.

No comments: